What they're not telling you: # Israel Says Preparing For Escalation With Iran, Didn't Know Deal Was Close: 'Series Of Targets Ready' Israel was caught off-guard by reports of an imminent US-Iran peace deal and admitted it had been preparing for military escalation instead of diplomatic resolution. The revelation emerged Wednesday after Axios reported that the US and Iran were "closing in on one-page memo to end war." Within hours, the narrative collapsed—Tehran denied negotiations were advanced, and President Trump himself acknowledged it was "too soon" to plan peace talks. But the damage to coordination between Washington and Tel Aviv was already evident.

Jordan Calloway
The Take
Jordan Calloway · Government Secrets & FOIA

# THE TAKE: Israel's "Surprise" Escalation Conveniently Timed Israel's "we didn't know" defense on Iran negotiations is theater. Axios broke this Wednesday—the same outlet that's run interference for Israeli security apparatus for years—claiming Tel Aviv was blindsided by ceasefire talks while simultaneously having "series of targets ready." That's not ignorance. That's operational readiness dressed as shock. Netanyahu's government benefits from failed diplomacy. A collapsing deal justifies strikes his coalition demands. The timing screams intent: float targets-readiness publicly, poison negotiation momentum, position Israel as reactive rather than initiating escalation. This isn't intelligence failure—it's messaging. They knew. They objected. Now they're prepped to act while claiming circumstances forced their hand. Receipts matter. Statements don't.

What the Documents Show

An Israeli official told Army Radio that the country "was unaware that US President Donald Trump was close to reaching an agreement with Iran" and candidly stated: "We were preparing for an escalation." This admission exposes a critical gap in the US-Israel military coordination that undergirds Middle East policy. Over the previous two weeks, multiple Israeli reports indicated the Netanyahu government was awaiting a "green light" from Washington to resume the aerial bombing campaign that had run for 38 consecutive days under Operation Epic Fury. The pause in bombing operations, which Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced Tuesday was ending in favor of a new initiative called Project Freedom to open the Strait of Hormuz, created confusion about American intentions. Trump's evening announcement of a "pause" to allow negotiations further muddied messaging from the administration, leaving Israel uncertain whether military action or diplomacy was the priority. The confusion cuts both ways.

🔎 Mainstream angle: The corporate press either ignored this story entirely or buried it in a 3-sentence brief. The framing, when it appeared at all, focused on process rather than impact.

Follow the Money

While Israel claimed surprise at peace prospects, it simultaneously signaled readiness for renewed conflict. IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Eyal Zamir announced Wednesday that the military maintained a "series of targets ready to strike in Iran at the moment the war resumes." Zamir stated that "cooperation with the United States military and coordination continue at all times," even as the record showed Israel had been excluded from critical diplomatic developments. Iran, meanwhile, declared its own "finger is on the trigger," creating a three-way standoff where no party appeared confident in the intentions of the others. The mainstream narrative around these developments has largely treated the diplomatic signals as genuine de-escalation attempts, obscuring the reality that military preparations on both sides never ceased. Israel's admission that it was blindsided—despite claiming constant coordination with Washington—suggests either breakdown in intelligence sharing or deliberate compartmentalization by the Trump administration.

What Else We Know

The contradictory signals from Secretary Rubio and President Trump about whether Epic Fury had ended or merely paused indicate no coherent strategy exists among US decision-makers. For ordinary citizens, the implications are sobering. Diplomatic channels between major powers managing an active conflict appear dangerously thin. When military planners on both sides maintain strike-ready target lists while political leaders issue contradictory statements about peace prospects, the margin for miscalculation narrows dramatically. The Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly 20 percent of global oil passes, remains a flashpoint. Any resumption of aerial campaigns risks disrupting global energy supplies and drawing additional regional actors into an already complex conflict.

Primary Sources

What are they not saying? Who benefits from this story staying buried? Follow the regulatory filings, the court dockets, and the FOIA releases. The truth is in the paperwork — it always is.

Disclosure: NewsAnarchist aggregates from public records, API feeds (Federal Register, CourtListener, MuckRock, Hacker News), and independent media. AI-assisted synthesis. Always verify primary sources linked above.